In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
July 4, 1914
On Tuesday the new steam fire engine, recently bought by the Rugby Urban District Council underwent an entirely satisfactory test in the School Close. The engine was bought from Mssrs Shand, Mason & co at a total cost of £435 13s 3d and it is the firm’s latest and most up-to-date pattern. It is a double-cylinder variable expansion engine, capable of delivering 400 gallons of water per minute and will throw a 1 1/8 inch jet to a height of 160ft. The engine is made throughout as light as possible.
July 3 1964
Fifteen children have been admitted to the Hospital of St Cross in the last six months because of accidents in the home.
These figures have led to the Rugby & District Home Safety Committee launching a full-scale campaign to warm parents of the dangers to their children. Leaflets were also going to be printed. Of those admitted to hospital, six had taken aspirin or other tablets, three had taken creosote or paraffin, three had been burned, two scalded and one had swallowed a drawing pin.
June 29, 1989
Only five days after risking life and limb in a parachute jump, Reg French landed himself in plaster. “I was at the Midland Bank to pick up a certificate from Jackie Morgan who made the jump with me, when I tripped. Quite truthfully I can jump 2,000 feet without hurting myself but I can’t get down a nine-inch step!” said Cllr French, nursing two broken bones in his foot. “The nurses at St Cross were pulling my leg something awful. They said we’ve just been reading about you- and now you’re here!”