In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
March 28, 1914
As will be seen by our advertisement columns, the Rugby Freehold Land Society is inviting tenders to build during the summer about 50 good class artizans’ dwelling-houses on the Park Estate in Acacia and Poplar Groves. These will be prepared to sell at cost prise to purchasers on very easy terms by fortnightly payments, amounting to very little more than the rest they would otherwise have to pay. Other blocks will follow in quick succession if the demand for houses continues.
March 27, 1964
The Duke of Edinburgh made an hour-long tour of the Lodge Factory of S Smith and Sons spark plugs and ceramics division at St Peter’s Road on Friday. His Royal Highness stopped to talk to two almost blind capstan operators. Thomas Jones, 46, of Victoria Street and John Lamb, 21, of Pytchley Road. One of Her Majesty’s Deputy Lieutenants of Warwickshire Norman Edyvean-Walker met the Duke at Midland Station and more than 2,000 cheering schoolchildren lined the route along Murray Road and Clifton Road.
March 23, 1989
The League of Friends of Rugby Hospitals has received its biggest single donation to spend on health care. Former patient Henry Pegg left a £37,500 legacy for the purchase of medical equipment. The huge donation came as a complete surprise both to the league and consultant general surgeon Ron Parker, who treated Mr Pegg. “It is a marvellous, generous gesture to leave money which can be used to help others.” Mr Pegg, of Addison Road, died last February aged 93.