From the Advertiser archives - November 26 edition

editorial image
0
Have your say

In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago

November 27, 1915

Despite the frequent calls which have been made upon the charitably disposed of late, the inhabitants of Rugby made a splendid response to the appeal made on Saturday, Russian Flag Day, on behalf of the Russian wounded and two records were broken.

No less than 25,000 flags were disposed of, 8,000 more than the previous highest and the sum realised was £138, an excess of £34 over that raised on French Flag Day.

November 26, 1965

Fifteen public houses in Rugby and at least 13 in the district will be closed on Christmas night this year for the first time. The scheme has been introduced by managers across the Midlands. Future years will operate on a rota system. Those in Rugby will be: Imperial, Griffin, Lawrence Sheriff Arms, Half Moon, Australian Arms, Three Cranes, Wine Barrell, Saracen’s Head, Jolly Abbot, Paddox, Prince of Wales, Holly Bush, Windmill, Black Horse and Victoria.

November 22, 1990

Evensong at Rugby’s town centre parish church has been brought forward to protect elderly parishioners. Many of the congregation at St Andrew’s fear walking through the gauntlet of gangs hanging around waiting for pubs and clubs to open. The decision to bring forward the start of evensong by 30 minutes to 6pm was taken by the Rector of Rugby Canon Michael Langrish. He said a great deal of discussion had taken place before the decision was made.