In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
October 25, 1913
Probably no member of the platform staff at Rugby Station has been better known to the travelling public than Mr John Capell of 22 Cambridge Street, who has just retired after a service of 40 to 50 years. Mr Capell’s connection with the railway dates back to the spring of 1870. About 32 years have elapsed since Mr Capell first came to Rugby as porter-guard and was later promoted to platform foreman. After a serious accident in which he damaged his spine, he has been 18 years as ticket collector.
October 25, 1963
When the railway from Euston is electrified in the course of the next year or two, Rugby will become as readily accessible as Brighton now is to people who work in London. Rugby can become as attractive a place of resident for daily commuters from the Metropolis as it has been for some years for workers in Coventry, Birmingham and other towns. Among the developments that might benefit are the 60 flats at Bilton Park in Longrood Road. They are available for lease at an annual rental of £250.
October 20, 1988
Parking headaches could be a thing of the past thanks to a £2.8 million scheme to build a multi-storey car park in the town centre. Plans for the car park providing 700 spaces on the site of the present James Street car park were approved in principle by councillors on Tuesday night. The Development Committee seized on the opportunity to relieve the growing parking problems after hearing the money was available because there were no other major projects in the near future.