From the Archives December 22 edition

editorial image

Looking Back 100, 50 and 25 years into the Rugby Advertiser archive.

December 20 1911

THEFT by a tramp: Two tramps, James Hefford and John Brown, were charged with stealing from the show of Macgregor Armstrong, watchmaker, 10 Chapel Street, Rugby.

Armstrong said he last saw the clock at 11am on Tuesday, but did not miss it until 12noon on Thursday. PC Humphries deposed that when searching Hefford at the police station he found the clock. The prisoner said he won it at a hoop-la at Daventry. Hefford pleaded guilty and said that Brown knew no more about it than the court clerk. Hefford added that he had had a drop of beer, and that if he hadn’t, he wouldn’t have done it. He had been drinking in a public house since three in the afternoon. He was arrested at around 9pm. He said that if he had not been so drunk he would have left long before 9pm and would not have been tempted to steal.Superintendant Clark said Hefford’s proper name was Francis Connelly, and a list of convictions for theft and other offences was proved against him. He was sent to prison for three months with hard labour.

December 16 1961

FROM television to cinema: I was pleased to read the comments made by Cinevision with regard to the lack of filmic entertainment in Rugby and hope these ill produce favourable results in the near future. I believe that within recent weeks many people have begun to turn away from the fireside television to seek out entertainment. They are now discovering once again how enjoyable is an evening spent at the cinema watching a good film and sharing in the laughs and thrills with a large group of people. I hope that the cinema managements concerned will take the opportunity and provide us with a really good choice of first class films in the future.

BUS traps three people: A stationary car in Newton was struck by a Midland red bus late last Friday, trapping three people inside. They were trapped for about half and hour and had to be rescued by firemen using crowbars. All three were taken to St Cross Hospital, Rugby. One had serious injuries, not thought to be life threatening. and two were suffering from bruises and shock.

December 17 1986

PETITION fails to save Rugby pub: Rugby town centre public house, The Shakespeare in Queen Street, has finally been sold to developers, Chesterfield Properties, despite a petition from hundreds of customers who tried to save it.

The sale will end a 24 year tenancy of the former Ansells house by members of the Priest family. George and his wife Vera were tenants of the house for a couple decades and the licence was then handed to their son Brian and his wife, Chris. Brian said yesterday: “We shall be staying in the business, moving to the Chequers at Swinford. This will be a complete change because it is the first village public house we had experience of as a family. The house will be demolished as part of plans to extend the shopping precinct, a move which has already been given planning consent in principle. To mark the closure the landlord is organising a barrel roll from the Shakespeare to the Chequers at the end of January.