LOOKING BACK - February 27 edition

Jack Burton (on the left) as a five-year-old
Jack Burton (on the left) as a five-year-old
0
Have your say

Jack Burton MBE

Maureen Batchelor spotted her grandfather in the cricketing picture of the Burton XI in our February 13 edition and came in to tell us more about the Burton family.

Jack Burton with his MBE

Jack Burton with his MBE

Her grandfather Frederick Middleton Burton lived in Victoria Street. Maureen’s mother Dorothy Foster, (nee Burton), always used to tell her the phrase ‘gone for a Burton’ stemmed from the bowling of the cricket team because there were so many Burtons, but she suspects it might not be true!

One of Dorothy’s cousins was Arthur John ‘Jack’ Burton, whose father was Arthur Edward Burton. Jack was well known to everyone in the town as the superintendent of Rugby’s ambulance service and a member of the St John Ambulance for 54 years. He joined St John’s in 1935 and took his last first aid exam in 1989, being awarded the MBE in 1973. He retired from the full time ambulance service in 1969 and died a few years ago when he was in his early 90s.

The picture above shows Jack on the left, dressed up at aged five in Barby Road, there are no names for the other boys or clues as to why it was taken; and below, he is proudly showing his MBE.

# Continuing the Burton story from above, Maureen also brought in an interesting newspaper cutting from 1966 about cricketing families, which talks about Reg and his son Morris Burton who were both prolific batsmen for Rugby Cricket Club for many years, each scoring 1,000 runs in the 1949 season. Reg was another of her mother’s cousins. It says he was captain from 1928 to 1947 and then president of Rugby Cricket Club.

# In our original piece about the Burton cricket team in 1900, they were playing against the Arnold Wise School XI and we asked if anyone knew any more about it. Peter Smith has answered our query on that one too. He says: Thomas Arnold Wise was an Australian born around 1860 who came to Rugby in late 1890s and lived in Oakfield House on Bilton Road which is the Oakfield Club today. He set up a boarding boys prep school in the house and became its headmaster.

In 1901 he had 21 pupils, 3 male and 7 female live in staff and in 1911 22 pupils, 5 male and 6 female staff. He was Rugby’s Charter Mayor in 1932 and Mr Smith believes he died in 1940.

The Oakfield Rec was part of the Oakfield House Estate and was next to the Rugby Cricket and Tennis Club which was on former estate land.

# The school opened in January 1888 under Headmastership of Thomas Arnold Wise who, when he retired in 1929, sold it. In early 1930s it moved to Bilton and became Longrood School.