LOOKING BACK - July 9 edition

Avon Mill swimming pool, opened in July 1929
Avon Mill swimming pool, opened in July 1929
0
Have your say

Avon Mill swimming pool

Anyone fancy a swim? The Avon Mill swimming pool opened in July 1929 - and our picture this week comes from the Advertiser’s coverage.

The headline to the story was ‘Rugby’s Bathing Facilities, swimming gala at new open air pool, opened by Mr JK Mellor’.

The report says: “A long-felt want in Rugby as now been filled by the construction of a swimming pool at the Avon Mill, Newbold Road, and this should prove a noteworthy addition to the town’s facilities. The pool, which derives its water from the River Avon near by, is pleasantly situated at the back of the Avon Mill.

“It measures 80 yards long by 16 yards wide, quite ample dimensions to suit its purposes, and the average depth is between 5ft and 5ft 6in. At the eastern end it is spanned by a bridge a yard wide, and surmounted thereon is an adequate diving platform.

“The accommodation provided includes 20 cubicles and an attendants hut. The Urban Council have constructed the pool by direct labour under the direction of Mr JH Sharp, the Surveyor and it is at present controlled by one male attendant, under the supervision of Mr S Smithies, the general baths’ superintendent.

“One of the most attractive events on the opening day was an excellent exhibition of correct swimming strokes and life-saving methods by members of the Three Spires (Coventry) Ladies swimming club.”