Catthorpe Interchange concern raised once again following more accidents and a death

editorial image
0
Have your say

SAFETY improvements are on the way at the notorious Catthorpe Interchange, according to Rugby MP Mark Pawsey.

Mr Pawsey said this week that he was ‘very saddened’ to hear about another accident at the Catthorpe Interchange near Rugby, following the death of a lorry driver there on Monday last week.

Mr Pawsey said: “I was able to speak yesterday informally with Roads Minister Mike Penning about the Government’s proposals for the junction. Mike told me that the money has been firmly allocated for the upgrade to improve both safety and connectivity, but that it remains a requirement for a public inquiry to take place which is due to start imminently. He hope that this will enable work to start in 2013. He is as concerned as I am about the continuing accidents, and is fully aware of the urgency of the situation.”

Mr Pawsey said in the meantime that he would write to the Highways Agency asking it to consider further measures to improve safety temporarily, particularly on the exit lanes from the M6 to the roundabout.

Lorry driver Darren Bridges from Bedworth was declared dead at the scene of the accident last week.

There was another accident at the same junction on Monday this week, involving a lorry and a car.

One person was treated at the scene but no one needed to go to hospital.