Consultation to relaunch for care changes for disabled children in Warwickshire

editorial image
0
Have your say

Planned changes to the amount of support carers of disabled children get from the county council are to go back to public consultation.

Parents were in uproar and threatened legal action after Warwickshire County Council announced controversial changes to care packages earlier this year.

Parents criticised the consultation for not being open enough about the criteria that would qualify family and children for help.

Rather than being adopted, the changes were referred back to a council scrutiny committee last week, where it was agreed there would be a further four-week consultation and new recommendations made. The development doesn’t alter Warwickshire County Council’s reduction of its £8.8m Integrated Disability Service budget by £1.7m from next April. Every family who benefits from help with carers, care respite and individual budgets is also still likely to be re-assessed against stricter criteria.

A spokesman from Warwickshire County Council said: “There was a four-week consultation agreed following the call in. Officers are currently working on planning this consultation and the council will be able to advise on the proposed start date by the end of the week following IDS Project Board on Thursday October 3.”

Two weeks ago, parents group Family Voice Warwickshire said they would have no choice but to bring about a judicial review, claiming the council would not be fulfilling its statutory care obligations.

At the time, Debbie Hughes, a mother of two from Rokeby with an eight year old son with classic autism, ADHD, Tourettes and sensory processing disorder, said the changes “will tear families apart”.

In the document that originally went to cabinet, the council said it would prioritise care for the people and families who needed it most.