Three Rugby men found guilty of 99 year old woman’s burglary

editorial image
0
Have your say

A GANG of burglars from Rugby have been sentenced to a total of 10 years in prison after being found guilty of committing a series of burlgaries in Bilton and Dunchurch.

The string of offences, between July and August 2011, includes what detectives are describing as a ‘sickening’ burglary at the home of a then 99 year old woman.

Dale Garlick, 19, of Railway Terrace, Rugby was sentenced to four years for three burglaries and an additional 20 offences which he asked to be taken into consideration

Two juveniles were also sentenced. One a 17 year old male was sentenced to four years imprisonment for five counts of burglary and the other, a 15 year old male was sentenced to two years for two burglaries with 9 other offences he asked to be taken into consideration.

Following the sentencing at Warwick Crown Court on Wednesday, DC Mick Watkins said “The main offence relates to a burglary at the home of a 99 year old woman, who has since reached her 100th birthday. She lived alone and at the time of the burglary was asleep in bed. The offenders searched her home, stealing valuables and food. They entered her bedroom and even removed the lady’s lifeline alarm. In essence this was a sickening attack as the window they chose as the point of entry was in fact her bedroom where they could see she was asleep in her bed and yet they still chose to do this burglary.”

Officers later discovered an engagement ring given to the 99 year old woman in 1935 had been given to the girlfriend of one of the offenders following the burglary. Officers recovered the ring and gave it back to the woman.

DC Watkins added: “Since the incident the victim has not been able to go back home and it is fair to say that she found the whole incident very difficult to cope with. It has been life changing and she will never live in her own home again.”

The trio were arrested on 17 August 2011 after officers noticed a pattern linking 23 identified burglaries to date.

CPS advice was sought where a decision was made to charge the males. The 17 year old male was remanded in custody on 20 August 2011, whilst GARLICK and the 15 year old were charged and bailed to appear before Leamington Magistrates Court on 26 August 2011. Their next appearance was at Crown Court

The burglaries occurred in Bilton Road, Pytchley Road, Tower Road, Cromwell Road, Arden Close, Burnside, Belmont Road, Anderson Avenue, Norton Leys, Churchill Road, Beaconsfield Road, Southbrook Road, Firs Drive, and Hibbert Close.

On three occasions the offenders entered bedrooms causing the occupants to wake up and find intruders in their home. During these burglaries a whole spectrum of property was stolen ranging from food items, alcohol, cash, wallets, phones, cameras, laptops, jewellery, TV’s right through to motor vehicles, one of which is still outstanding. There were several reported sightings of a group of 3 males being involved in these offences.

Although some of the stolen property has been recovered officers are still appealing for information to help them locate a stolen Citroen C1 Rhythm car.

DC Mick Watkins said: “We are delighted at this result. Many people were affected by the prolific offending behaviour of these individuals and I feel these lengthy sentences rightly reflect the severity of the offences and the vulnerable nature of many of the victims. Burglars should know if they enter someones home and steal they will go to prison.”

PS Dafydd Goddard of the Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “The safer neighbourhood team welcomes these sentences and continues to work within those communities to provide reassurance and crime prevention advice over the christmas period.

“Recent crime prevention initiatives in the wider area have attracted over 200 visitors to officers based in the mobile police station. We will remain visible in these areas over the Christmas.”