Firefighters called as Clock Towers Shopping Centre evacuated

editorial image
0
Have your say

Shoppers were evacuated from the Clock Towers Shopping Centre in the last hour this morning (Friday) after an oven overheated at Subway.

Two fire crews were called to the busy shopping centre after an oven at Subway started smoking.

Shoppers said all the fire alarms in the centre went off and they could smell smoke.

Centre manager Tony Spencer said: “An oven overheated and it started smoking. We evacuated as a precaution as we didn’t know how bad it was at first.

“As soon as we got in there we could see. Everyone was shut down and isolated.

“We carried on with the evacuation so there’s no confusion caused.”

Mr Spencer said there was no damage and no one was hurt.

He added: “The store is just tidying up and should be reopen shortly.”