Gas cylinder causes huge explosion

The fire in Haddenham was attended by seven fire vehicles
The fire in Haddenham was attended by seven fire vehicles
0
Have your say

A GAS cylinder exploded and burst into flames at a recycling centre in Rugby.

The Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) in Hunters Lane was closed for 45 minutes on Thursday morning last week while firefighters put out the blaze.

The pressurised cylinder exploded while being compacted in the scrap metal skip. The skip burst into flames and the centre was only re-opened once it had been declared safe.

No one was hurt during the explosion.

Warwickshire County Council (WCC) which runs the site is now warning about the dangers of disposing gas cylinders.

Cllr Alan Cockburn, portfolio holder for environment and economy, said: “This was a very serious incident at our Rugby recycling centre and we must warn people not to place gas containers into any of our skips.

“Responsibility rests with the disposer to ensure full safe and legal handling of any pressurised container.

“Gas cylinders should go back to their suppliers wherever possible because they are hazardous items and can present a danger to members of the public using our sites.”

The county council believe that the cylinder was hidden when it was dumped in the skip, a move which is described as ‘potentially a very dangerous action.’

Some LPG cylinders can be accepted by some camping equipment shops and main cylinder suppliers.

They can also be accepted at Prince’s Drive HWRC in Leamington at a minimum cost of £5 per item and Hunters Lane HWRC will take named cylinders for a charge of £6 per item (subject to size and type).