DCSIMG

Jail for man who robbed schoolboy

editorial image

editorial image

A young man who robbed a schoolboy of his phone in a park has been jailed after twice failing to turn up to do unpaid work as part of a suspended sentence.

Glenroy Barnes had originally escaped an immediate jail sentence because of the six months he had already spent in custody on remand following his arrest.

Barnes, 20, of Hawthorn Terrace, Harborough Magna, Rugby, at the time, had pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court to robbing his 15-year-old victim of an almost-new mobile phone.

He was sentenced to six months detention suspended for 18 months, with 18 months supervision, 100 hours of unpaid work and a three-month electronically-tagged curfew from 8pm to 7am.

But after he admitted breaching the order by failing to comply with the unpaid work, Barnes, now of no fixed address, was jailed for 18 weeks.

Justin Jarmola, for Barnes, said he had ‘particularly difficult circumstances’ because both his step-father and grandfather are ill, which had placed a considerable strain on him and his mother.

Jailing Barnes, after giving him credit for the work he had done, Recorder Tom Rochford told him: “You were sentenced back in November for an offence of robbery, and you would have been told by the judge that you were getting a last chance.

“I accept you have suffered some upset in your family, but there has been a deliberate failure by you to comply.

“It is clear from what I have read in the report that there is little or no likelihood that you will comply with the order. It’s a cul-de-sac for me; I have no option but to impose the sentence.”

At the original hearing the court heard that on May 18 a schoolboy was walking his dog in Nauls Mill Park in Coventry when he was approached by a group of five men including Barnes.

Asked by Barnes if he had any cigarettes and then what he had in his pocket, the boy said it was his phone – and when he took it out, Barnes snatched it from him and walked off.

The teenager followed the group, asking for it back, but one of the others told him to stop following them or they would batter him, and ran up to him and pushed him in the chest.

Despite that, the boy continued to follow the group at a distance before going home and reporting the robbery.

Police officers drove him round the area, and in Hewitt Avenue he saw Barnes and pointed him out.

But when he was arrested Barnes, who no longer had the phone, denied playing any part in the robbery, said prosecutor Theresa Thorp.

She added that Barnes has previous convictions for a total of 23 offences going back to when he was 14, including six for robbery and one for attempted robbery.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page