A dream holiday turned into a nightmare for the former landlady of the village pub in Willoughby.
Sylvia Skelsey and family were left suffering from severe gastric symptoms including stomach cramps and diarrhoea at their hotel in Bodrum, Turkey.
The party of five had to endure a hotel where cockroaches came out of the shower drain, food was not properly cooked, left uncovered and served lukewarm, and crockery, glasses and cutlery were not washed properly.
In an out-of-court settlement the family have been awarded thousands in undisclosed compensation after taking their plight to specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell following the holiday in 2010.
Sylvia, aged 75, ran the Rose Inn with her husband Barrie until 2000 and bought the holiday for her daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren.
Sylvia said: “It was supposed to be a special holiday for the family to give them a treat – which makes it worse.”
On the fourth day into their two-week break they, along with others, fell prey to gastric problems and their pleas to be moved were rejected.
The couple lived in Harborough Magna until 2013 and now live in Stafford. Sylvia said: “The hotel was horrendous – cockroaches, mould up the wall and the food was terrible. ”
And her advice to others faced with similar problems is get evidence to get recompense. She said: “Take plenty of photos, get the rep to sign the complaints form and get legal advice.”
The family were travelling with Kwik Travel, formerly a part of the Freedom Travel Group, which did not formally admit liability and settled the matter without the need for a full court hearing.
A spokesperson said on behalf of Freedom Travel Group: “The health and safety of our customers is of paramount importance to us. “We extend our apologies to the Skelsey party with regards to their illness and confirm that we have now resolved this issue and reached an agreement with their legal representatives.”