A vehicle recycling company in Rugby has thanked emergency services for their swift actions when a fire broke out yesterday afternoon (Thursday).
Thick black smoke was seen billowing across Rugby yesterday lunchtime following a fire at Charles Trent in Avon Mill Lane, off Newbold Road.
Five fire crews from across the country attended the blaze, which was put out within about an hour.
The fire started in a workshop and quickly spread to other parts of the site, including some tyres with caught fire.
A spokesman for Charles Trent said: “No one was hut and the site was evacuated.
“The full safety procedure was followed by staff.
“We are now investigating the incident and we have people on site accessing the exact cause of it.”
Charles Trent thanked Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service, Adler and Allan and Bradley Electrical.
The spokesman continued: “Without all their efforts we would be unable to trade at the moment.
“They came quickly and did a great job.
“The site is still open and we will be fully operational within a few weeks.”
Roads in the area came to a standstill during the incident, while Rugby Borough Council was called in to help assist with water supply.
Residents living in the area were advised to stay indoors and close all the windows.
The environmental protection unit was also called to the scene, as well as the Environment Agency.
David Hudson, environment manager for the Environment Agency in the West Midlands, said: “Our inspection shows that the firewater was kept within the site so we do not believe there has been any harm to River Avon.
“We’re very pleased with the efforts of our team to deal with the fire today. Close work with Warwickshire Fire and Rescue and Rugby Borough Council. Thanks to both.”
The fire is not believed to be suspicious, according to Warwickshire Police.
To see a video of the smoke coming from the fire click here FIRE VIDEO
To see pictures of the fire click here FIRE PHOTOS