The race is on to save Brandon Speedway from the bulldozers amid plans build houses on the site.
Supporters have launched a ‘Save Our Speedway’ campaign and want people to sign their petition to save the stadium from 250 homes being built on the site.
Rugby MP Mark Pawsey will be among visitors to an exhibition of the plans being shown Binley Woods Village Hall on Saturday October 18 from 10.15am and 1pm.
Semi-professional speedway rider and a former Rugby Mayor Tony Gillias said it would be a shame to lose the stadium, home to Coventry Bees.
He was recently elected chairman of speedway’s governing body in Great Britain, the Speedway Control Bureau (SCB).
Tony said: “People come from all over the world to the stadium.”
Campaigner Pete Lawrence said more than 1,600 members had already joined a support group on Facebook, after residents received a letter from planning consultants Framptons outlining the proposal.
“It would be heartbreaking if it was lost – it is such a heritage,” said Pete, who lives in Braunston and has visited the stadium since 1968.
“I must have been there 1,000 times or more.”
The timing couldn’t be worse for fans of the Bees, who will be contesting this year’s league title next week in front of thousands of fans at Brandon, having progressed to the play-off finals.
Kay Smith, who lives in Brandon, said: “Being married to a stock car driver and living in Speedway Lane next to the stadium I will fight harder than ever to stop this development.
“We really do need all drivers and fans from all formulas to stand united and say ‘no no no’ to these proposals.”
Visit www.facebook.com/groups/savecoventryspeedway to find out more about the campaign.