THE sale of a residential property owned known as Stockton School House on Napton Road in the village has been approved by Warwickshire County Council’s cabinet.
The building had been a county council property since 1921 when it was built on the site of land that the council had acquired the year before. It has served as accommodation since for staff serving at the local Stockton Primary and Southam High Schools
The previous tenant vacated the property in April and with no further council use for the building, it has been identified as surplus to requirements.
The property is a three bedroom, detached residential dwelling set on approx 0.11hectares. It has off road parking for several vehicles, a brick outhouse.
The need for accommodation in the area is being assessed.
If no need is identified, the property will be sold either for development or for occupation. The capital receipt will repay debt and the subsequent revenue saving of maintenance, security and interest on the debt will amount to around £26-30,000 which will contribute towards the delivery of the property rationalisation savings target.
Councillor Colin Hayfield, portfolio holder for customers, access and physical assets, said: “The county council has thoroughly reviewed its portfolio of properties to ensure that they are being used to their capacity. This efficient use of buildings will play a large part in ensuring that we are able to make necessary savings without it impacting on the services we provide to residents.
“As we become a leaner organisation, we will subsequently need less properties from which to carry out our business.
“Selling surplus properties keeps down outgoing costs in maintenance and security and interest in debt repayments.”