In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
April 18, 1914
One of the most promising of the youthful swimmers in Rugby is Horace George Stretton, who at 17 has already made performances in the water to be proud of. He is a St Matthew’s Old Boy and represented that school in the Flint Cup as captain on two occasions. He was successful with winning the Dumas Cup with Rugby Swimming Club and the Manning Cup open competition.
He swims a powerful breast stroke and is making good progress in attaining style on the trudgeon stroke. His carrying of a subject by life-saving methods is exceptionally good.
April 17, 1964
Work has begun this week on the building of a new Crown House, the head office for Rugby Portland Cement at the corner of Newbold Road and Corporation Street. This artists’ impression gives roughly the view coming up Newbold Road after the dual carriageway in Corporation Street has been completed. The building will have a ground floor and eight storeys. Soil research has already been carried out and work will soon begin on sinking the foundations. The main contractors are Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons and the architects TP Bennett & Son of London.
April 13, 1989
Parents of pupils at Tower Lodge are making a bid to run the school themselves to save it from closure. But the Bilton Road building was sold this week for use as housing and the private prep school has until September to find another site. At a meeting of more than 100 parents before the sale was agreed, a decision was taken to set up a board of governors to carry on the school. Parents, teachers and other interested parties would run the school as a charitable trust, with no owners to take any profits.