From the Advertiser archives: April 7, 2011

editorial image

Delving into the Advertiser archives from 100, 50 and 25 years ago

100 years ago

April 10, 1911

A NAGGING wife: Walter Chalk, a labourer of 33 Newland Street, New Bilton, was charged with attempting to commit suicide by cutting his throat on the previous day.

PC Elkington said he was called to the prisoner’s house at about 3.30pm on Friday afternoon and found prisoner sitting on the sofa with a wound in his throat about one and a half inches long.

Witness took him to the police station and called a doctor, who put a couple of stitches in the wound. Witness asked prisoner why he did it and he replied that he had been having a row with his wife. Prisoner said his wife had said disagreeable things to him lately and that prayed on his mind.

He explained that on Friday she was ‘on again’ and in a fit of temper he cut his own throat. He cut his throat with a short, sharp pen knife that he kept in his pocket.

He expressed regret and promised not to repeat the offence and was remanded till Tuesday, being admitted to bail on his own recognisances of £5.

50 years ago

April 7, 1966

VISIT of Queen Mother: When Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother visits Rugby to open the Town Hall on July 5 Her Majesty will arrive by helicopter at Rugby Recreation Ground on Hillmorton Road.

The decision to use the Recreation Ground was confirmed yesterday when a helicopter of the Queen’s Flight landed there to test its suitability and safety features.

The landing was watched by the chief constable of Warwickshire, Mr PE Brodie, the Deputy Town Clerk, Mr JS Watling and the Deputy Borough Surveyor Mr BA Hitchcock. The pilot was squadron leader Mackenzie Hall.

NEWTON break-in: St Thomas Cross Inn was broken into on Thursday night.

Entry was gained by the breaking of a window pane on the ground floor of the village public house adjacent to the main road. A bottle of lemonade and was shilling were stolen.

Rugby police have said they are treating the matter as burglary and are investigating.

25 years ago

April 3, 1986

AN OFFICIAL Major Emergency was almost declared in Rugby that would have meant the large scale evacuation of most of the town.

The largest fire in Rugby for decades tore through Mercury Tyres on the Church Lawford Industrial Estate. It sent a giant cloud of billowing smoke into the sky on Wednesday afternoon. Fireman at the scene were worried that asbestos cement in the roof of the building would be carried up into the sky and over residential areas.

Officials in Rugby contacted the high-tech Chemdate Centre at Hartwell, Oxfordshire, where a Dr Cumberland said an evacuation should take place as far as the smoke was carrying asbestos particles.

Warwickshire Fire third officer Roy Sales said: “We considered an evacuation because of the dust and fallout potential – but we have to balance that out against causing disruption to the pubic.

“Considering the size of the smoke cloud we would have had to evacuate most of the West Midlands.”