From the Advertiser archives - December 13 edition

editorial image

In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago

100 years ago

December 14, 1912

At about 8 o’clock on Sunday morning, one of Rugby’s oldest and most respected residents - Rev Charles Elsee MA of Bilton Road, passed away.

He came to Rugby School as mathematical master in 1859, being appointed by Dr Temple and he continued at the School, during part of his time as Bursar, and also for many years as a housemaster until 1901 when he retired, having served under five headmasters.

As a clergyman, Mr Elsee regularly took his turn of service in the School Chapel, and from time to time preached there. Shortly after he came to Rugby, Mr Elsee did duty for two winters for the Rev William Tait, the incumbent of St Matthew’s Church, while he was abroad for the good of his wife’s health and he has continued to assist there.

He married Mary Ann Cram in 1861 and last year celebrated his golden wedding. There are still living four sons and three daughters.

There was in his personality much that recalled the virtues of the Rev John Moultrie who was the rector when Mr Elsee came to Rugby.

50 years ago

December 14, 1962

Freak storm: Sunday sleep shattered: Unstable showery air mass of polar origin.

The first sign of the more disturbed weather type came on Saturday afternoon about 1pm when torrential ran doused the town for about 15 minutes and the likelihood of a thunderstorm was evident. Though its eventual sleep shattering bombardment of the town at six o’clock on Sunday morning must have surprised many inhabitants.

The peculiar lightning in the Rugby district has been previously reported, but its origin is not fully understood.

During the storm Mr Arthur Payne, 17 Lower Street Hillmorton had an unnerving experience.

He had just got on his bicycle to go to open the locks on the canal at Hillmorton when he saw what he described as ‘lines of fire’ running towards him along the road surface in Lower Street.

Almost at once he was temporarily deafened by a clap of thunder then had to shield his face from hailstones as large as marbles which were driven hard by a squall. The whole episode was over in a few minutes.

25 years ago

December 10, 1987

Nearly 12 months ago Rugby achieved fame by reaching the third round of the John Player Cup and met the brilliant, televised Wasps side.

Star-studded Wasps rattled up 7 tries and England fly-half Rob Andrew converted five of them and added a penalty. Their 41 points were only offset by Richard Pell’s penalty.

Rugby, with their committed play, won many friends that day.

Equally Wasps appreciation of arrangements on and off the field has resulted on Saturday’s away game. Although Wasps will, no doubt, have a large contingent of players in the London Divisional match, they have strength in depth.

Lions are presently on a high as they near the 500 point mark after playing 18 games.

The impressive points bonanza includes 85 tries and a personal contribution of 150 points from Chris Howard.

(The following week it was reported: Lions shocked Wasps with a 28-6 home defeat, which left officials promising to send their strongest side with all guns blazing for next season’s fixture.)