In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
December 18, 1915
Rugby Territorials serving at the front must be very grateful to the local committee who are supplying them with comforts. A parcel has been forwarded this week to each man, which includes an aluminium saucepan and cooker stove, with tin of solid methylated spirit and a refill, as well as a pair of mittens, a sponge and Oxo cubes. The cost will be about £45 and the sum collected at present is £30.
December 17, 1965
A note under a milk bottle on a doorstep in Balcombe Road on Friday ended a world-wide search for an 84-year-old Crick man who has been ‘missing’ for 42 years. Mr Griffith Morgan, who emigrated to Canada in 1921, flew from Vancouver and was reunited with his sisters. They had been unable to trace him through the Salvation Army and had assumed he was dead. But in a stroke of luck his taxi driver at the station was a relative of one of the sisters, and so he was able to leave a note on their step to say he was staying at the Crescent Hotel in Hillmorton Road.
December 13, 1990
There may have been no room at Rugby’s inns on Saturday, but no weary motorists were turned away. About 40 people unable to continue journeys because of the snow were hosted by local families, who responded to appeals by Cllr James Shera and the Rector of Rugby Canon Michael Langrish. After being inundated with requests for accommodation at his Alma Lodge Hotel, Cllr Shera realised something had to be done on a large scale. The rector opened St Andrew’s Church House as a base for the operation.