From the Advertiser archives - February 16 edition

editorial image

In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago

100 years ago

February 10 1912

Rugby Petty Sessions: Superintendent Clarke, in his report on proceedings taken against persons for drunkenness and offences under the licensing act said for the year 1911 in the division of Rugby there were 68 fully licensed houses, 27 beerhouses (on), 53 beerhouses off, 12 grocers’ licenses, five wine and one refreshment house, total 166.

The estimated population of the division according to the 1911 census was 37,915, giving one licensed house to every 228 residents.

During the year 115 persons had been proceeded against for drunkenness, 101 males and 14 females. 86 males and 13 females were fined, eight males dismissed, two makes and one female committed to gaol, four bound over and one male sent to Inebriates Home.

Compared with 1910 this showed an increase of 26 persons.

The whole of the licensed premises had been generally well conducted and he offered no objection to any of the renewals.

50 years ago

February 6 1962

Eight thousand Rugby engineers joined about three million engineering and shipyard workers throughout the country yesterday and downed tools in the official one-day strike staged in support of their rejected pay claim.

The strike, called by the Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions, is thought to be the biggest shut-down in Britain for ten years.

At the three main local engineering works, AEI, English Electric and Lodge Plugs, pickets patrolled entrance gates from seven o’clock until shortly after nine, but everything was peaceful.

At the AEI works a company spokesman said not more than ten per cent of hourly rate adults attended for duty, but the majority of junior male employees and apprentices who took no part in the stoppage reported.

The position at EEC, which employs 2,000 engineers, was similar.

At the sparking plug manufacturers nearly 200 of the 800 confederation members preferred not to go on strike.

25 years ago

February 12 1987

The Rector of Rugby, Alan Coldwells, is caught up in a mix-up of emotions as he prepares to leave the town after 14 years.

For while his obvious affection for Rugby and its people makes the rector loath to leave, he cannot quite disguise the excitement and relish with which he views his new appointment.

On March 9 Canon Coldwells leaves Rugby for his new job as one of four canons at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle.

The opportunity came as quite a surprise at the age of 57 as he had envisaged a few more years in Rugby before moving to a small parish somewhere.

He first came to Rugby in 1955 as deacon of St Andrew’s Parish Church.

He was ordained and became priest-in-charge of St George’s Church in St John’s Avenue until 1962.

Then he left to work in Norwich, before returning to Rugby as rector 11 years later.

The story included a picture with wife Pat and children Katie, Lotti and Adam.