In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
August 1, 1914
At this season of the year, prior to the annual encampment of local territorials, Col and Mrs Mulliner have made it a practice to entertain the members of Rugby Howitzer Battery at their residence, Clifton Court. The gathering on Saturday was on rather a larger scale, the Rugby Light Infantry Company being invited to participate in the hospitality. To those who remember the days, not very long distant, when an old farm-house occupied the site, the transformation in Col Mulliner’s hands is nothing short of wonderful, with beautiful lawns, terraces and flower gardens.
July 31, 1964
Two big water authorities are likely to borrow, between them, just under £3million, representing capital costs of a conservation scheme which provides for the construction of a reservoir of 600 acres which will be the largest in the Midlands and one of the largest in the country. Faced with the problem of a steadily rising demand by householders and industry, the Rugby Joint and South Warwickshire Water Boards engaged a form of consulting engineers who recommend the provision of the reservoir at Draycote to contain about 4,000 million gallons.
July 27, 1989
The wheels are in motion for the building of Phase Three of the Hospital of St Cross expansion programme. Chairman of Rugby Health Authority Les Anderton sat at the controls of a digger on Monday and turned the first sod of the new development. It involves the building of car parks and roadworks to provide a new entrance to the hospital on land bought from Rugby School in 1987. Plans for 96 geriatric beds, facilities for the mentally infirm, a new X-ray department and catering facilities will be in Phase Four.