From the Advertiser archives - June 14 edition

editorial image

In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago

100 years ago

June 15, 1912

The tailoring trade in Rugby: Alleged iniquitous conditions and sweated women: According to statements made at a meeting held at the Eagle Hotel on Monday, the conditions under which some of the tailors and tailoresses in Rugby are expected to work and their rates of payment are far from ideal.

The meeting was convened primarily with the purpose of showing workers the benefits of joining the Amalgamated Society of Tailors and Tailoresses.

One of the organisers of this trade union, Mr J Rowlerson said: “I have seen Royal liveries made here for prices they would not make labourers’ coats for in the town I come from.

“The employers themselves admit that conditions of the tailoring trade in Rugby are deplorable.

“I begin to wonder whether there is such a thing as a Factory Act or medical and sanitary officers in Rugby, because if they visited such places there would be notices on the doors tomorrow and nobody would be allowed to work in them.”

50 years ago

June 15, 1962

Five thousand Rugby people were unwittingly indebted on Monday to Ray Gubbins, the Newbold on Avon RFC veteran wing forward.

Five thousand people were in attendance at the first annual fete of the club and Mr Gubbins was the man who suggested that the club held such an event.

The fete is promised as an annual one. If the first is a reliable guide, it might in the course of a few years take the place of the gala day which used to be held by the English Electric Company.

There was a full programme for more than six hours and plenty of room in which to enjoy it.

In addition to a fun fair, there was the complete gamut of attractions. The fete was officially opened by the Mayor of Rugby Coun JL Skelhorn, who was introduced by Mr FW Harris, secretary of the club for thirty yars and was thanked by Mr L Fenley, president of the Warwickshire RFU.

The mayoress was presented with a bouquet by Diane Blackwell, seven-year-old daughter of the fete secretary Mr John Blackwell.

25 years ago

June 11, 1987

A four-hour £14,000 operation to move Rugby’s Memorial Gates went without a hitch.

The controversial work, carried out by a Nottingham-based firm, attracted considerable interest.

But David Smith, the borough’s technical services director said: “Everything went very simply and after all the controversy, everything went surprisingly well.”

The huge stone gates were encased inn a steel frame and then lifted onto a low loader lorry before being moved to their new resting place further along Hillmorton Road.

Landscaping of the memorial garden with begin shortly.

Tenders have already gone out for the road and roundabout and work is expected to begin within the next four weeks.

The road will provide an access to Rugby’s leisure centre in Trevor White Drive.

It is a scheme which brought a flood of protest and split the borough council.

The operation was finally given the go-ahead earlier this year after former Mayor Prue Miller used her casting vote.