From the Advertiser archives - November 15 edition

editorial image
Share this article

In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago

100 years ago

November 16, 1912

A policeman and a doctor were called to a house in Bridget Street, New Bilton on Tuesday evening and were informed that a woman had taken poison. After treatment she was taken to the Workhouse Infirmary. She was not seriously ill, but was detained under police observation.

Her name is Kitty Gallagher, aged 23, and she kept house for a John Smith, tailor, said to be a foreigner. It is alleged that they had quarrelled.

The woman was brought before L Loverock Esq at the police court, charged with attempting to kill herself. But she exclaimed: “I did not do anything of the sort!

The prisoner said she had taken some rum as she wanted to sleep. She added that there was fighting in the house and contents of a bottle were thrown over her while she was in bed. She could not speak very good English and when asked where Smith came from she replied: ‘Near Russia’.

She was allowed bail on the understanding that security was forthcoming, herself in the sum of £5 and two others of a similar amount.

50 years ago

November 16, 1962

Few of the general public turned out for the town’s remembrance service at the Memorial Gates in Hillmorton Road on Sunday morning.

There was a fairly good muster of military personnel but ex-Servicemen’s organisations made a sparse representation in the bleak weather.

The parade assembled in the recreation ground and then formed up in the road to await the arrival of the Mayor (Coun JK Skelhorn) and members of the borough council and town officials.

The Mayor was accompanied by the town clerk (Mr TL Duffy), Mr AR Wise MP and Supt Croker (Rugby Police).

The service was conducted by the rector of Rugby (the Rev DM Davies) and the Salvation Army band was in attendance.

Following the singing of the hymn ‘O God our help in ages past’ and prayers, Mr AW Coote sounded ‘Last Post’. Then Mr N Edyvean-Walker (British Legion county patron) spoke Lauurence Binyon’s words ‘They shall grow not old...’

Mr W Jacobs said the Legion’s salutation and ‘Reveille’ was sounded.

25 years ago

November 12, 1987

The most talked about road in Rugby opened to traffic for the first time this week.

And the official opening of the new access to the Ken Marriott Leisure Centre brought to an end the years of wrangling over whether or not the road should go through the rec.

The much-debated scheme, for so long the centre of controversy, became a reality as Conservative council leader Lionel Franklyn and recreation chairman Peter Miller pushed back the barrier.

The new road, which cost £80,000 and took just nine weeks to build, runs from the roundabout at Whitehall Road /Hillmorton Road junction along the side of Rugby Recreation Ground, giving direct entrance to the sports centre.

A private road, in the ownership and control of Rugby Council, it is open to two-way traffic and has a speed restriction of 10mph.

Coun Franklyn said he had lost count of the number of people who had gone out of their way to congratulate him on the scheme. And he congratulated Dr Peter Miller for his ‘courage and tenacity.’