From the Advertiser archives - November 8 edition

editorial image

In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago

100 years ago

November 9, 1912

Sincere regret has been felt in the town at the news of the death, at St Bartholemew’s Hospital London on Sunday night, of Mr Harry Slack of 6 Grosvenor Road.

Until about two months ago Mr Slack appeared to be in his usual good health. He returned from his summer holidays looking perfectly well but then evidence of internal trouble presented itself.

Examination revealed the sad fact that the mischief had gone too far to be remedied and in the end death came as a happy release, but was naturally a great blow to his relatives and many friends in the Rugby district.

Deceased, who was 46 years of age, was the eldest son of Mr John Slack, master tailor of Rugby. He was especially well known in connection with Friendly Society work and past secretary to the Loyal Stephenson Court of Foresters. Mr Slack was also a prominent Druid, of which Order he was a Past Arch.

The Rugby Football Club has also lost one of its most enthusiastic supporters. He recently acted as treasurer.

50 years ago

November 9, 1962

Despite the twopence in the shilling purchase tax on fireworks this year - put on in the spring after many had been manufactured - sale of fireworks locally was about the same as usual.

Buyers complained about the increased costs, but bought nevertheless. One result of the tax was that there were no penny bangers this year, the cheapest were five for sixpence and they had not as much bang as heretofore. Some shops in the town sold out of their stocks, except for the large set pieces, ranging in price up to about a pound.

The local branch of the Newsagents’ Federation gave their annual display at the Hospital of St cross on Monday night for the benefit of patients and staff.

Beds had been pulled to the windows and sitting patients were accommodated near the windows, so that as many as possible could see the display put on on the lawn and field in front of the Sun Pavilion.

The hospital porters contributed to the display with a good bonfire. Those present included Mr WM Lewis (chairman of the management committee) and mr JL Ryde (matron of Rugby hospitals.

25 years ago

November 5, 1987

Rugby’s RSPCA inspector Neville Reilly has revealed he knew about the experiments which resulted in a part-dog, part-wolf being housed with a Newbold family.

The dog, named Bodie by its owner Mr Kevin Slatcher, was part of a litter bred at Southam Zoo more than three years ago.And, according to Mr Slatcher, it is still alive today.

“I knew about what the zoo keeper called the ‘experiment’ because he had turned to the RSPCA when the animals had become too violent,” he said.

“I had to put down three of the litter and had no idea there were any left alive,” he added.

Mr Slatcher had nurtured the animal, even taking it to dog training classes before it was taken away.

His wife, Brenda, told the Advertiser last week of strange qualities that had always set Bodie apart from other animals.

“He never barked, always howled. His eyes were yellow too and glowed in the dark,” she said. The family had got the ‘Alsation’ from the RSPCA and believed he had come from a battered home.