From the Archives - 100, 50 and 25 years ago

editorial image

From the Rugby Advertiser Archives

100 years ago

September 17 1911

BAD language in Hillmorton: Peter Kelly, groom, Hillmorton was summoned by Sarah A Busby, married woman, Hillmorton, for using indecent language Hillmorton on July 31.

Mr Harold Eaden appeared for defendant and pleaded guilty. He said defendant bore an excellent character and been in regular work. On the day in question he undoubtedly had too much to drink, and took complainant for another person with whom he was not on the very best of terms. He confronted her and in doing so used several filthy words.

He found out the next day that he had used abusive language, and went to complainant’s house for the purpose of making an ample apology to her, but she declined to see him.

He asked the bench, having regard to his good character, to deal with the case in the most lenient way.

Complainant said Kelly used very indecent language indeed, and he knew who she was.

Defendant said he earned from 18s to £1 a week.

He was fined £1.

50 years ago

September 15 1961

JOHN Smith, a winder from Hillmorton, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in Railway Terrace on Saturday night and for damaging a weighing machine belonging to James Smith, of Railway Terrace. The damage was put at £10.

PC Longcroft said he saw Brown staggering about the pavement. He saw him put his fist through the glass of a weighing machine outside the Carlton Hotel. He was shouting and waving his arms about and was taken to the police station. Brown was fined £2 for the drunkenness and £5 for the damage to the weighing machine. The total amount repayable after costs was £17, he was allowed to pay back £2 per week.

John Smith, of Wordsworth Road, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly after breaking a telephone box at the Kingsway shops. He was fined £4 10s and ordered to pay 30s for the damage.

PC Porter was called to the scnene by the Griffin pub. He said he saw Smith intoxicated and using foul and abusive language.

25 years ago

September 18 1986

A RUGBY man’s fight to protect Russian supplies against U-Boat attacks was honoured by the Soviet Union.

Former naval boy Arthur Stacey, then vice president of Newbold Rugby Club, accepted a commemorative medal at the Soviet Embassy in London by Russian ambassador Mr L.M. Vamyatin. He served on the 17th Destroyer Flotilla in the icy waters along the coasts of modern day Russia.

He told the Advertiser he was delighted the Soviet Union had recognised the contribution he and other British crewmen made to ensure food and munition supplies arrived safely.

He said: “It’s fantastic.

“This means everything to me because I was on one of the worst convoys during the war.”

He recalled one torpedo attack when many of the ship’s crew were injured.

He said: “We were so close to Germany once that there were many German U-Boat attacks. One torpedo struck, the ship went out of control and all our rockets went off.

“It was really frightening.”