From the archives February 2 edition

editorial image

Looking Back 25, 50 and 100 years.

100 years ago

January 30 1912

THOMAS Lindsay, of no fixed abode, was charged in remand with refusing to perform his task at the workhouse on November 6. Defendant pleaded not guilty. The Workhouse Master, Mr W Dickens said defendant was admitted to the casual ward and told the conditions of his admission.

The doctor saw him later that day and said he was perfectly fit to perform his task. On Friday he was put to task but still refused to work. A medical officer saw him that afternoon and found that defendant had been suffering from toothache and ruptured veins. The charge was dismissed and the defendant discharged.

IRREGULAR Attendance: Ellen Adams, widow, 61 Pinfold Street and William Gilbert, iron planner, New Bilton, were summoned for not sending their children to school regularly. Her two children were stated to have been very irregular in their school attendance and she was fined 5s and 7s 6d respectively. Gilbert had been fined twice before and was now ordered to pay 10s.

50 years ago

January 28 1962

ATTEMPTED suicide in Rugby: John Smith, of Rugby, was charged with attempting to commit suicide in December. Mrs Smith said on the morning in question she left her husband in bed. She lit the fire and got his breakfast ready. As he did not come downstairs she went up to the bedroom and found her husband had cut his throat with a razor. He had suffered from influenza recently and complained of pains in his head. Since the occurrence her husband had not spoken to her. PC Jesson disposed that he was called in and found a razor. From what he heard there was a tendency towards suicide in the family. Mrs Smith said another family member had thrown themselves under a train nine or ten years earlier. The court heard Mr Smith “liked his beer” but “brought the money home”. The chairman, in announcing the case was to be dismissed, cautioned the defendant to abstain from the drink, and asked his wife to use her influence to keep him from the drink, otherwise it may inadvertently affect him again.

25 years ago

January 29 1987

LETTER to the editor: As this is the centenary of the birth of Rupert Brooke, I thought readers may be interested in this anecdote. Percy Garrott Chamberlain, the last director of Chamberlain Pharmaceutical Chemists, Rugby, was probably the last boy to enter Rugby School under the original terms of Lawrence Sheriff’s will of 1567. Percy, known by all his friends as ‘PG’, was in the sixth form at Rugby School when Rupert Brooke was a junior. Rupert always fancied his chances as a poet and was somewhat arrogant and a “poseur”. He wore his hair in long, blonde curls. The patience of the senior boys reached its limit and a number of sixth forms one day ‘kidnapped’ Rupert and cut off his hair. It was PG Chamberlain’s proudest boast that it was he who wielded the scissors. There was uproar amongst the school authorities and the headmaster ordered a full investigation. In true public school tradition, Rupert Brooke flatly refused to name any of the boys who had taken part. R Denyer, Buckinghamshire