From the Archives July 14

editorial image
Share this article

From the Advertiser archives.

100 years ago

July 18 1911

WHILST fishing in the canal near The Wide at Hillmorton early on Saturday morning, Frederick Johnson, 16, a lamplighter, in the employ of the Rugby Gas Company, living with his parents at 85 South Street, suddenly fell into the water. Help was quickly at hand and within about ten minutes the body was recovered, but although artificial respiration was tried, animation was not restored. In the opinion of the medical man, who has since examined the body, death was due to heart failure, and the appearance seemed to suggest that life was extinct when the lad fell into the canal. Mr Hadow, deputy coroner, held an inquest at the Stag and Pheasant Inn, Hillmorton, on Monday evening. Charles Johnson of South Street, Rugby, said deceased was a strong boy and had good health all his life. Shortly before 6pm deceased was standing up smoking a cigarette and still fishing, when witnesses heard a splash and noticed he had disappeared. The inquest heard he had died from syncope, which was most likely caused by heat exhaustion.

50 years ago

July 14 1961

A POLICE raid on a train at Margate after the theft of drink from carriage led to the arrest of several 16-year-old Rugby youths, Inspector Carl Wimperis told Rugby juvenile court magistrates on Wednesday.

The youths admitted three larceny charges and one of receiving. They asked for 37 other larceny and receiving offences to be taken into consideration.

One of the youths, given two years’ probation for stealing a pair of motorcycle gloves from Halford’s in High Street, was told by the chairman: “You behaved like a hoodlum.”

A second youth told magistrates he was “glad to have the opportunity of clearing my slate”.

Ald. Robatham said there was something “radically wrong” with the youth’s standard of conduct.

His school reports were “pretty poor” and they indicated he was lazy.

He told a third youth, who stole a scooter spotlight worth £2 7s 2d: “You, young man, are a complete disgrace.”

The youth said he was sorry for what he had done.

25 years ago

July 19 1986

MARGARET Thatcher waded into a debate surrounding cheap Greek cement which was threatening Rugby Portland Cement.

The imported cement undercut Portland’s price by 26 per cent, much to the dismay of company bosses and its Rugby-based work force. The then rime minister met privately with Rugby MP Jim Pawsey to discuss the implications of the cement being ‘dumped’ on British soil.

Mr Pawsey said: “The prime minister is extremely aggrieved by the action of the Greek Government. She is going to make representations to the EEC commissioners.”

A week earlier 600 Portland workers were issued a letter from alarmed managers detailing the situation, which was described in the Advertiser as “the massive foreign invasion”.

Mr Pawsey added: “It seems unfair they are dumping their cement on another European country. I spoke with Mrs Thatcher after I raised the matter in Prime Minister’s Question Time at her request. She showed great sympathy and understanding.”