From the archives, July 7

editorial image

July 11 1911

MR Hadow deputy-coroner, held an inquest at the Royal Oak Inn, New Bilton, for the death of Elsie Mabel Smith.

The six-year-old, daughter of a labourer living in Addison Road, died on Sunday morning from the effects of sunstroke.

The inquest heard the child was ‘fairly strong’ but at times, rather gaunt and suffered from indigestion. Her last illness was 12 months ago when she had a slight attack of diphtheria.

After complaining of headaches and sickness during the night the child’s condition worsened the next morning.

A doctor was called for but on his arrival the girl was found dead.

The foreman told the inquest he did not think the child had been neglected and had no doubt that her mother considered her illness normal for children of her age.

The coroner said, according to the evidence, they could only conclude that death was due to the heat, and the jury returned a verdict to that effect.

July 1 1961

OBSERVANT father: After visiting a surgery in Dunchurch Road, Rugby, a 12-year-old boy found that his bicycle, which he had left outside, was missing.

Later, his dad saw a man riding his son’s machine towards Birmingham, stopped him, and rang for the police. This was alleged at Rugby Court on Tuesday by Inspector Carl Wimperis, prosecuting.

Before the court was John Smith, of no fixed abode, accused of stealing a bicycle worth £22 from Terry Denton.

He pleaded guilty and was placed on probation for a year and ordered to pay £15 costs, Smith, a single man, said he had been hitch-hiking from Northampton when he saw the bicycle. Smith said he was very sorry for what he had done.

STOLEN cigarettes: Three youths admitted breaking and entering a shop in Wood Street and stealing 200 cigarettes worth £2 15s 2d.

At Rugby Police Station one of them confessed: “All right, we did the little shop in Wood Street – I want to come clean.”

July 3 1986

CHEAP, imported Greek cement is putting more than 600 jobs at risk, the Advertiser reported.

The Rugby Portland Cement worker labelled the massive foreign invasion ‘ridiculous’ and ‘a scandal’. Alarmed Rugby cement bosses were forced into drawing up battle plans to stand up to the threats.

All local workers were issued with a letter from chief executive Pat Jackson on Friday, detailing the importation threat. It stated that a floating silo had arrived at Tilbury Docks and that speculation was growing that further terminals would be sent to Liverpool, Avonmouth and Southampton.

TGWU works convenor at Portland Cement, Stanley Buckley, said: “We cannot just sit back and see our industry eroded by cheap, imported cement.

“I think this dumping of foreign cement into Britain is a scandal and should be stopped. The Greeks are exporting an unemployment problem at our expense.

“If their imports are allowed to continue, the home market will be in a desperate situation.”