From the archives, November 3 edition

editorial image
Share this article

Looking back 25, 50 and 101 years ago through the Rugby Advertiser archive.

101 years ago

November 8 1910

A well merited punishment: John Reynolds, of no fixed abode, was charged with smashing a cell door at the Rugby Workhouse, and doing damage to the amount of 10s, on November 1.

Defendant pleaded guilty. Mr J W Pendred, the clerk to the Guardians, prosecuted and said he was instructed to press the case. He said that when the defendant was admitted to the house, he was told what he would be doing the next day and he did wilful damage and threatened the master.

Defendant said he was perished with cold and was driven to do it by the temperature.

The workhouse master, Mr W Dickens, said the temperature in the corridor was 56 degrees, and that the pipes were so hot he could not keep his hand on them. He said that when he went into Reynolds’ cell he tried to strike him and he described the damage he did.

There were also two previous convictions against the defendant. Defendant was committed to prison for two months, with hard labour.

50 years ago

November 12 1961

Crow Pie: An application was made under the licensing laws for the following off-licensed premises to remain open from 8.30am to 10.30pm: Crow Pie, Bilton Road.

Licensee is Mr Edward Bailey. The application was granted by magistrates.

Drunkeness: Two Scotsmen, labourers, both of Overslade Hostel, Rugby, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly in Newbold Road on Saturday.

PC Shingler said on Saturday night a complaint was received from the doorman at the Benn Memorial Hall and he went there in a police car. One of the defendants started to dance in front of the car.

He was unsteady on his feet and was shouting. The other, who was standing nearby, also began shouting and waving his arms around. Both men were arrested and taken to the police station.

Later, when they were charged, one of them said: “It’s been a night’s kip. I’m very sorry.”

The other said, “I’m sorry. I was very drunk.”

The defendants were fined £1 10s each.

25 years ago

November 6 1986

POLICE sealed off town centre streets in Rugby yesterday morning as the longest load ever to travel Britain’s roads was escorted from GEC works to the A45 for a three-day journey to London.

The load, a giant turbine being shipped through Tilbury to South Africa, was built by GEC turbine generators at Willans works, is little over 300 tonnes, 17ft wide and 15ft tall. A 400-horse-power tractor unit hauled the load and a vehicle of similar power was attached to the load at the back.

The journey from GEC to Dunchurch took three hours with half an hour’s ‘shunting delay’ outside the factory entrance, at the Evreux Way roundabout and again at Dunchurch crossroads.

A senior police officer said that the load was 70ft longer than anything that had previously travelled by road in the United Kingdom.

A GEC spokesman said the load was part of an order first placed five years ago. He added that it was a time when issues in South Africa “were not quite so sensitive”.