From the Rugby Advertiser Archives, January 12

editorial image
Share this article

From the archives, looking back 25,50 and 100 years.

25 years ago

January 15 1987

A LETTER to the editor: A major cause of traffic problems on the gyratory is that a lot of motorists are using it as a roundabout, which it is not. When approaching from Dunchurch Road, they can filter in, using mirrors and indicators to change lanes. The same procedures should be used towards Rugby School Street. Once on the gyratory, do not speed but let the other chap filter in. Traffic should be kept moving in normal conditions. A further cause for concern is that the Sheep Street, High Street parking has been resolved, huge vans and cars are being allowed to park on double yellow lines next to Rugby School. The pelican lights are then obscured by the vehicles, plus a hazard is created for pedestrians using the crossing.

J Poulenc, Overslade Lane, Rugby.

NEARLY £300 worth of cash was stolen from the Mound Hotel in Lawford Road on Sunday. The intruder broke in through a window in the kitchen and stole a microwave, a handbag and purse.

50 years ago

January 8 1962

COFFIN rests here: An old and respected, if impecunious, friend passed quietly away late on Saturday night at the advanced age of 121 years.

It was the Midland line to Leicester which closed to the public after the last train on Saturday, preceding the death of 1961 by only about 26 hours.

The sad demise did not pass unnoticed for as the last train, the 9.40pm Rugby to Leicester, steamed out into the snow-enshrouded countryside, it carried in it a hard-board coffin addressed to Dr Beeching, British Railways, London.

Unfortunately it was also consigned ‘carriage forward’ which meant that at Rugby it was removed and now lies in the Parcel Office at Rugby Midland Station ‘to await the Station Master’s pleasure’.

The coffin bore a plate upon its lid engraved, ‘British Railways Countesthorpe: Died 31.12.61, aged 121 years’.

Also on the lid was a wreath with the message, ‘Goodbye, old pal.’ On either side of it were the words, ‘He gave service but no profit.’

100 years ago

January 12 1912

A DECEASED woman was found floating in the canal in Brownsover at 1.30pm on Thursday afternoon. It was believed from the circumstances in which she was found that she committed suicide. Her hat and jacket, along with a pathetic note to her husband, was found on the canal bank.

The husband, Mr Ernest Tomlinson, identified the body. Asked by the coroner how he accounted for his wife’s actions, said she had been worried for some time about the behaviour of her father. Although he had consented the marriage, he insisted on the couple living with him at 32 Rowland Street.

During the ten months of their marriage Mr Tomlinson said his life had been made a “perfect misery” by reason of her father’s ways. He attempted all he could do to stop her being his wife, “she was to be nothing to me”.

The witness said that his wife remarked that her life was not worth living and that she had been worried all her life on account of her father. The coroner judged the case as suicide.