Looking Back: June 21 edition

editorial image

n It’s not too often we have a colour picture for Looking Back, but this one taken at the Coventry Cathedral Festival is still half a century old.

It was sent in by Keith Coughlan (on the left of the front row) because it was taken on June 16, 1962 - 50 years ago to the week.

The ambitious arts and sports festival marked the completion of the new cathedral after the original was bombed in the war.

The team pictured, Valley Sports won their way through to the 6-a-Side football competition Semi-Finals & Final at The Butts Stadium, Coventry.

Having watched Standard Athletic easily beat Victoria by 18 points (4 goals and 2 corners) to 2 points (2 corners) in the first semi-final, Valley Sports beat Coventry Amateurs by 8 points (2 goals) to 1 point (1 corner).

Coventry Amateurs took a first half lead but two second half goals from David Hawkins clinched a place in the final having started as one of 156 teams to enter from the Coventry, Nuneaton, Leamington and Rugby areas.

The Rugby Section was played at Thornfield on Sunday, May 27 with Valley Sports ‘A’ and Brandon & Wolston ‘A’ winning through to the last 16 at Whitley Common, Coventry on Wednesday, June 13 where the Rugby side won through with a 12-10 victory over Coventry Fire Brigade and then in the 1/4 Final they beat Tile Hill 4-1.

The first half of the Final against Standard Athletic was very even with the Rugby & District side twice testing D Jones in the Standard goal.

However, the Standard took command after the interval and only brilliant work by Valley ‘keeper Ted Holland kept the motormen at bay. Standard took a one-point lead from a corner only for Sports to equalise in similar fashion.

During the last five minutes Standard got on top and took the lead again with another corner. Brilliant goalkeeping by Holland kept the score down to 2 points to 1 until the dying moments when B Fenton, showing excellent control, scored the all important goal to give Standard a 6 points to 1 victory.

The players were presented with trophies which were mounted on a plinth of Cathedral Stone by Mr E W Hancock OBE and the two captains were presented with a new football.

n In their blue semi-final kit (back from left) Allan Webb, Ted Holland, Ted Greig.

(Front) Keith Coughlan (Secretary), Peter Nelson, Robin Green, David Hawkins, Bob Green (Chairman)