Looking back, October 6 edition

editorial image

From the archives, 25, 50 and 101 years ago.

25 years ago

October 3 1986

A LORRY driver was praised by police and fire services after pulling a man from a raging fire.

Terry Tucker pulled the man from a smoke-filled bedsit risking his own life before remaining at the scene and attempting to tackle the blaze. The incident happened in Lowestoft, where Mr Tucker was making a delivery.

Along with a group of teenagers, he broke a door down and crawled in on hands and knees to recover the man, who was semi-conscious. After pulling him to safety he re-entered the flat and searched for more survivors three times, but was unable to find anyone. No one else was hurt or injured in the fire. He sustained burns to his hands and face and was admitted to the burns unit at West Norwich Hospital.

Mr Tucker’s wife, Christine, said: “I’m very proud of him but he’s embarrassed about it.”

PC David Fayres of Lowestoft police praised him and the teenagers involved. “Their actions saved the man’s life, there’s no doubt about that,” he said.

50 years ago

October 6 1961

ANSWERING a 999 call on Thursday night, police went to Drury Lane where they saw a 17-year-old youth lying on the pavement while another belaboured him with a brass-studded belt.

This was stated in evidence at a special sitting of Rugby Magistrates when John Smith, of Rugby, was charged with maliciously causing bodily harm and being in charge of an offensive weapon. PC Dettmer took the belt from him and told him he would be arrested for causing grievous bodily harm to the other youth. The accused said to the officer: “I’ll do you as well.”

Chief Inspector Woodward said that when the police arrived the injured man was semi-conscious.

He was taken to the Hospital of St Cross where he was detained with concussion. He said the victim left the Prince of Wales pub before the accused swung the belt at him.

The accused then went to the Forester’s Arms, where he threatened the landlord. He was found guilty and prepared for Borstal training.

101 years ago

October 2 1910

HELPLESSLY drunk: Alfred Higham, described as a clerk, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to being drunk in Rugby on Friday afternoon.

PC Lester said he found defendant lying helplessly drunk in Pinders Lane about 4pm and locked him up.

Defendant said he met some friends, who treated him. Fined 2s 6d.

SUSPICIOUS: Charles Jackson, a youth of no fixed address, was charged with being on enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose, at Rugby, on Friday night. PC Currington said he was on duty on the Hillmorton Road at 11.40pm and saw defendant loitering about.

He watched him for 20 minutes and watched him try the doors and windows of Claremont House. Inspector Lines said young ladies in the house were terrified by defendant’s conduct.

Defendant denied that he tried to enter the premises unlawfully and said that he simply rang the bell for assistance.

He was sent to prison for 14 days with hard labour.