100mph car chase ends in jail for Rugby man

The case was heard at Warwick Crown Court, which sits in Leamington
The case was heard at Warwick Crown Court, which sits in Leamington

An uninsured driver led the police on a terrifying chase on his way home from work, during which he reached speeds as high as 120mph and went through the middle of a village at up to 80.

Mohammed Shabbir covered 16 miles in just 11 minutes before having to come to a halt when a second police vehicle blocked his way, a judge has heard.

And at Warwick Crown Court he pleaded guilty to charges of dangerous driving in his high-powered Nissan and having no insurance.

Shabbir, 22, of Claremont Road, Rugby, was jailed for six months, banned from driving for 18 months and ordered to take an extended test before he can get his licence back.

Prosecutor John Brotherton said police officers on patrol at around 11.20pm on August 20 saw the Nissan in Projects Drive, Rugby, and began to follow it when a check showed it had no insurance.

But Shabbir put his foot down and sped off along Boughton Road and into Mill Road before driving along narrow Murray Road and other residential streets at high speed.

During the pursuit which followed, he went through red lights, took blind bends on the wrong side of the road and swerved past other cars ahead of him.

The Nissan went over speed bumps in residential areas at high speed, and then headed along Hillmorton Road, doing up to 70mph in the 30 zone.

In residential Fisher Avenue he was clocked doing 80mph, and after turning into Ashlawn Road, which has a 40 limit, he reached 120mph as he went past the crossroads with Onley Lane.

Shabbir then overtook on a blind bend as he headed towards Dunchurch where he raced through the village at up to 80mph before joining the A45 and heading towards Daventry at around 110 – more than double the 50mph speed limit.

He turned off and headed into Braunston where he drove round the village at high speed before re-joining the A45 and heading back towards Rugby.

The Nissan, which throughout the chase had slowed down and then tried to use its acceleration to shake of the police car, was finally brought to a stop when another police car blocked its way in Ashlawn Road.

But Shabbir remained in the Nissan, and Mr Brotherton said: “It takes one of the officers punching him several times to get him out of the vehicle.”

When he was first interviewed he made ‘no comment’ responses and when, in a second interview, he was shown the police recording of the chase and asked if he wanted to say anything, he replied: “No.”

David Everett, defending, said Shabbir, who lives with his parents and younger brother, comes from a respectable family.

“They are very upset by his behaviour, and he says he is ashamed of the shame he has brought on them.”

Mr Everett said Shabbir had obtained the powerful Nissan by swapping it for his BMW two or three days earlier, but had not got round to transferring the insurance.

He had just got a job with a company on the Magna Park industrial estate and did not want to lose a day’s work, so he ‘stupidly decided to drive to work when he was not insured.’

“It was when he was coming back from work that he was seen by the police – and the reason he committed this offence was because he was driving without insurance and panicked.”

Jailing Shabbir, Recorder Mark Hill QC told him: “When you were spotted and pursued by a police vehicle, a chase resulted lasting in excess of ten minutes during which you were recorded driving at extremely high speeds, at times well in excess of 100.

“Having viewed the CCTV, it is one of the worst examples of dangerous driving I have seen.

“The fact that no-one was injured or property damaged is more by good fortune than anything which stands to your credit. The manner in which the car was driven causes this court considerable concern.

“In my view, having regard to the nature of the dangerous driving, a sentence of immediate imprisonment is required.”