Burglar sentenced to over five years in prison after a series of break-ins in Rugby

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

A 38-YEAR-OLD man has been sentenced to five years and six months in prison for a string of burglaries and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Leon Lunn, of no fixed address, was arrested on June 9 last year by police in Rugby on suspicion of burglary from a property in Hillmorton on June 7. Electrical items were stolen as well as the keys to a BMW car, which was driven away from the scene.

He was further arrested on suspicion of a burglary in New Bilton on June 8. On this occasion a flat screen TV and food items were taken and the 88-year-old occupant’s clothing searched whilst he was asleep in bed next to them.

Police recovered the stolen BMW from Clifton Road and Lunn was identified from CCTV as being in the area.

The TV was also recovered from an address nearby. A witness also reported seeing Lunn with the stolen TV in New Bilton just after the burglary.

In addition the mobile phone he was using appeared to have been taken from another burglary in Bilton, which happened in May 2012 where an Audi car was stolen.

Whilst on remand, Lunn tried to pervert the course of justice after police found a letter written to an associate asking them to intimidate witnesses so they would change their statement previously provided.

During several court hearings Lunn pleaded guilty to the burglary in Hillmorton and the attempt to pervert the course of justice. However he pleaded not guilty to the burglaries in New Bilton and Bilton.

On Thursday last week (January 17) a jury at Warwick Crown Court took less than an hour to find Lunn guilty of these two offences and the judge sentenced him to five years and six months imprisonment taking into account the severity of the offences.

Detective Constable, Richard Zarcone of Rugby Acquisitive Crime Team, said: “This is an excellent result for the community of Rugby, Lunn was a prolific offender and he caused an awful lot of upset and distress to members of the community and the victims he stole from. I would like to thank my fellow colleagues in the Acquisitive Crime Team and the Crown Prosecution Service for their commitment in seeing this to trial. But I would also especially like to thank the witnesses involved as without them, this result would have been impossible.”