'˜Check smoke alarms weekly' plea after Bilton kitchen fire

Firefighters urged people to test their smoke alarms every week after a kitchen fire in Bilton last week.

Wednesday, 7th June 2017, 11:16 am
Updated Thursday, 8th June 2017, 2:41 pm
A fire-damaged kitchen after a fire in Bilton on May 31. Photo: Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service NNL-170606-110541001

Two Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service fire engines from Rugby were sent to a house in Montague Road at around 7pm on Wednesday, May 31.

Smoke was coming out of the front door but luckily the residents had escaped the property by the time crews arrived, Rugby Fire Station wrote on Facebook.

Crews used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, thermal image camera and PPV fan to clear smoke and extinguish the fire, which was confined to the kitchen.

The hob was left badly damaged from the fire. Photo: Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service NNL-170506-173839001

The Fire Emergency Support Service contacted the homeowner and also provided support at the scene.

“On Wednesday crews from Rugby Fire Station attended a kitchen fire,” the fire station’s Facebook post said.

“On arrival there was smoke issuing from the front door, luckily the residents had escaped the property.

“Crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire using a hose reel and thermal imaging camera.

The hob was left badly damaged from the fire. Photo: Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service NNL-170506-173839001

“Make sure you test your smoke alarms every week to keep you and your loved ones safe.”