Couple’s pet dog and cats die in huge fire in Crick

editorial image
Share this article

A couple’s pet dog and their two cats died in a massive fire that completely destroyed their home on Thursday last wee.

The blaze started while one of the homeowners made a short trip into the village.

They lost everything in the fire, which happened in Chapel Lane at 12.55pm and was due to an electrical fault.

The Rev David Lake, of St Margaret’s Church in Crick, said: “It is a terrible tragedy.

“The fire has totally destroyed the property. It’s uninhabitable and structurally unsafe.”

The whole road was cordoned off while firefighters tackled the blaze at the detached property.

“What has been remarkable is the humanity shown by people in the village,” added Mr Lake.

The rector said he has been ‘encouraged’ by the actions of others and the help they have given.

Neighbours took the homeless couple in and villagers have rallied round to help replace lost necessities.

Mr Lake said: “People have been astounding.

“They have been given donations of money and other items.

“I have visited the couple who are coming to terms with what’s happened.”

He said they have been touched by people’s kindness and support.

Mr Lake said losing their pets has been the hardest part of the fire.

“Property is important but when it comes to losing animals it’s something very different,” added Mr Lake.

“Their dog had come from a rescue centre. Losing both their cats too is so sad to deal with.”

Mr Lake added: “The woman had only left the house for an hour to go to the village.

“It is really sad but the way it has bought people in the community together is good to see.”

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service said four engines were sent to the scene after receiving the 999 call, as well as a specialist vehicle.