Rugby chef denies murdering estranged wife Shana Cover

Shana Cover
Shana Cover

A man accused of killing his estranged wife, Rugby mother Shana Cover, in August last year has denied having anything to do with her death.

Owen Williams, 50, of Grizedale, Brownsover, Rugby, pleaded not guilty at Warwick Crown Court to the murder of Ms Cover between August 13 and August 22.

And his barrister Michael Duck QC told the court: “There is a denial of any involvement in the death at all.”

Williams, who was a chef at the Harvester in Leicester Road, Rugby, was charged with murder after 34-year-old Ms Cover’s body was found at her home in Morton Gardens, Rugby, on August 21.

The case was adjourned for trial, which is set to begin on June 8 and which prosecutor Peter Grieves-Smith has said is expected to last up to four weeks.

Williams was remanded in custody, and Judge Richard Griffith-Jones extended the custody time limit, the period for which a defendant can be remanded in custody before standing trial, until June 12.

The court has heard that a number of experts will be giving evidence during the trial in relation to aspects of the case including mobile phone ‘cell site’ analysis and footprints found at Ms Cover’s home.

And the jury is also expected to be taken to Rugby after Mr Grieves-Smith said they would be ‘assisted by a view of the geography of the area’.

During an earlier hearing it was said that Williams, who came to the UK in 1999 and returned on two successive student visas, had married Shana, who had a son, in September 2007.

“They had separated, and we believe she died in her flat, to which she had moved following the separation, probably on August 14, although her body was not found until a week later on the 21st,” said Malcolm Morse, prosecuting on that occasion.

He said that was based on a belief that Shana’s phone had last been used by her on August 14 – and in the following week there was concern when she missed a meeting and did not turn up for her job as a cleaner at St Cross Hospital.

The police were informed, and after forcing their way into her flat they found her body.