Rugby man to stand trial after pleading not guilty to attempted murder following Brownsover stabbing

A Rugby man is to stand trial before the end of the year on a charge of attempted murder following the stabbing of another man in the Brownsover area of the town

Wednesday, 17th June 2020, 5:42 pm
Updated Wednesday, 17th June 2020, 5:44 pm

Jovan Sleem appeared at Warwick Crown Court over a video link from the prison where he has been held on remand following his arrest earlier this week.

Sleem (36) of Seathwaite, Brownsover, Rugby, pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder of Wayne Bevan, who is said to have suffered a single stab wound, on June 11.

But he pleaded guilty to a further charge of possessing an offensive weapon, a knife, in Skiddaw, Brownsover, at the time of the incident.

File image.
File image.

Prosecutor Christopher Lester had queried whether Sleem could be arraigned, pointing out the papers in the case had only been uploaded onto the court’s system ‘very late last night.’

But Delroy Henry, defending, said he had been instructed by the firm of solicitors who had represented Sleem during his police interview, so they were ready to proceed.

After Sleem had entered his pleas, Judge Sylvia de Bertodano asked: “Are we expecting there to be any other charges?”

Mr Lester replied: “Not at the moment. There were other people arrested who have been released under investigation at the moment, but at this minute it’s Mr Sleem alone.”

And the judge observed that in respect of another person who was injured, there was no charge in relation to that alleged offence against Sleem.

Judge de Bertodano commented that ‘almost everything is on CCTV and video,’ but Mr Henry said the trial was likely to last for three days because there would be witnesses ‘who will be subject to challenge.’

Following enquiries with the court’s listing office, the judge said she had been given a date of December 7 for the trial to start – and ordered that there should be a pre-trial hearing in September.

Adjourning the case, Judge de Bertodano remanded Sleem in custody and told him: “We have made a timetable for your trial. The next hearing will be on or about the 18th of September, and you should attend for that hearing.”