Teenager ordered to pay £2,000 compensation following New Year’s Eve attack

editorial image

A teenager who fractured another young man’s eye socket during an incident outside a New Year’s Eve party has been ordered to pay his victim £2,000 compensation.

Lewis Kelly escaped being jailed after pleading guilty at Warwick Crown Court to inflicting grievous bodily harm the victim at the party in Wolvey.

He was sentenced to 12 months detention suspended for two years, with two years supervision, and was ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work.

In addition Kelly, 18, from Coventry, was ordered to pay the victim £2,000 compensation at the rate of £100 a month from August.

Prosecutor Kathryn Roughton said that on New Year’s Eve there was a small party for just half a dozen people at an address in Wolvey.

Among the guest was Kelly’s girlfriend who sent him a text asking him along, and he turned up with some friends.

They were not welcome, and were asked to leave; but although they left the house, they hung around on the drive.

The victim and another guest went outside to ask them to leave completely.

He punched Kelly, who responded by pushing his against the side of a van and punching him five times with both fists, knocking him to the ground.

When he got to his feet, the victim, who was covered in blood, went into the house – but then came out again with a bottle and threatened Kelly until he was calmed down by the girls who were there.

The victim was taken to hospital where he was treated for a fracture to his eye socket, a broken nose and damage to his teeth for which he had to have a metal plate inserted in his mouth to keep them in place.

When Kelly was arrested he said he had gone to the party because his girlfriend had said it would be OK.

He said that when he was asked to leave, he did so, but the victim and the other guest were then abusive towards him outside, and he lost his temper.

Ian Speed, defending, said Kelly had had a job offer which is still open to him, adding: “If Your Honour grants him his freedom, he will in time be able to pay compensation.”

Judge Richard Griffith-Jones told Kelly: “The important thing here is that you have pleaded guilty.

“The violence was serious violence, and it has caused a great deal of harm. Had you not pleaded guilty you would have gone to custody for 18 months.”