Trial date set for teenage boy following alleged shooting in Rugby

The boy cannot be named because of his age

Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 5:03 pm
Updated Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 5:04 pm

A trial date in October has been set for the Rugby teenager accused of shooting a man in the face during an incident in Grosvenor Road last month.

The 16-year-old, who is from Rugby but cannot be named because of his age, appeared at Warwick Crown Court on Wednesday.

He had been due to enter pleas to charges of attempted murder and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

File image.

The boy had been arrested following an incident in Grosvenor Road at around 5pm on Saturday February 27.

A man in his 20s was allegedly shot in the face, but was said not to have suffered serious injury.

But at the request of his barrister Andrew Tucker, the charges were not put to the boy.

Asking for the case to be adjourned, he explained: “It has been very difficult for his solicitor to get a decent appointment to take instructions from him.”

And David Jackson, prosecuting, pointed out that a 17-year-old had also been arrested but was released on police bail pending further investigation.

Agreeing to adjourn the hearing until May, Judge Sylvia de Bertodano asked: “In the meantime, is there any benefit in putting in a trial date?”

The barristers confirmed that there was, and after enquiries had been made, the judge said the first available date for the trial was October 18.

Adjourning the case, she remanded the 16-year-old in custody, but was told by Mr Tucker that a bail application may be made ‘in due course.’