Do you let properties to holidaymakers?

editorial image

OWNERS of holiday lets are not required to purchase Energy Performance Certificates for tourists hiring their accommodation to see, Warwickshire County Council’s Trading Standards Service is advising.

People selling properties are required to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to show potential buyers, but some commercial companies have been pressuring owners of holiday homes into purchasing EPCs for tourists hiring their holiday accommodation.

Warwickshire Trading Standards want to ensure that businesses are not misled in to spending money unnecessarily on regulations they are not obliged to comply with.

An EPC can cost anything from around £200 per property and are an indication of its energy efficiency and consequent running costs.

It is the view of Warwickshire County Council’s Trading Standards Service, The Trading Standards Institute and Local Government Regulation that current legislation places no obligation on the owners of holiday lets to provide an EPC for tourists hiring their property.

Businesses requiring further advice or information can contact Warwickshire Trading Standards Compliance Team on (01926) 414040.