Dog rescued from Rugby flat fire

A dog was rescued by firefighters from a fire in a second floor flat in Rugby yesterday (Wednesday, March 22).

Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 9:26 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:08 am
A firefighter with the dog rescued from a fire in a Rugby flat. Photo by Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service NNL-170323-102057001

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call at around 4pm from a concerned neighbour reporting a smell of burning and the smoke detectors sounding at a flat on Alfred Green Close.

Two fire engines from Rugby were mobilised and crews forced entry into the property to discover a fire in the kitchen of the second floor flat.

Around 10 per cent of the flat was affected by fire, according to the fire service.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one large water jet, a nine-metre ladder and a thermal image camera to put out the blaze and rescue the dog.

Once the fire was extinguished a large fan was used to clear the flat of smoke.

“This incident shows the importance of having working smoke alarms,” a fire service spokesman said.

“On this occasion they allowed early notification of a fire and reduced what could have possibly been a devastating fire within a block of flats.”