Extra funding for domestic abuse victim support in Warwickshire

editorial image

Victims of domestic abuse in Warwickshire will benefit from an extra £115,000 of support.

The funding will be spent on appointing four additional Independent Domestic Violence Advisors, whose role it is to protect the safety of victims at high risk of harm from partners, ex-partners or family members, and that of their children.

Warwickshire police and crime commissioner Ron Ball said: “Working to tackle this abominable issue remains one of my priority areas.

“This is why I have committed £115,000 to improving better support for victims of domestic abuse across the county by funding additional Independent Domestic Violence Advisors, who will play a vital role in supporting victims of domestic abuse.”

Warwickshire saw a 40 per cent increase in the number of domestic abuse related prosecutions between 2012/13 and 2013/14, despite there being no similar increase in the number of domestic abuse cases being reported to the police.

Mr Ball said: “Already we have seen better rates of prosecution for those responsible for domestic abuse, and this is testament to the hard work of Warwickshire Police and our partners, however there is no room for complacency and there is still a lot of work to do.”

Sue Ingram, Warwickshire County Council’s domestic abuse manager, said: “We welcome the increased investment, which will play a big part in helping to ensure that more victims of domestic abuse receive the support that they need. By increasing the capacity in the Domestic Abuse Support Service we will be better able to reach out to individuals and communities to offer support and prevent further violence and abuse”.

This service is currently commissioned by Warwickshire County Council and provided by Stonham and forms part of Warwickshire’s Domestic Abuse Support Service.

Anyone worried about domestic abuse can call the Warwickshire Against Domestic Abuse freephone helpline on 0800 408 1552 or visit www.talk2someone.org.uk

In an emergency, call 999.