Fire service issues important warning to homeowners after flat blaze in Rugby

An extractor fan was found to be the cause of the fire.
An extractor fan was found to be the cause of the fire.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue service has issued an important safety warning after a blaze devastated a home in Rugby.

Firefighters were sent to extinguish the fire at a flat last Wednesday afternoon, September 7.

Substantial damage was caused by the fire.

Substantial damage was caused by the fire.

Two crews from Rugby were sent to Empire Court in Avon Street, where they were informed that people may still be inside the building.

A third fire engine was deployed from Southam and crews located the fire in the bedroom of a second floor flat.

A service spokesperson said the flat “was 100 per cent smoke logged” and that “crews were using hose reels and breathing apparatus to deal with the incident.”

They later said that the cause of the fire had been identified as a kitchen extractor fan.

Thankfully no one was injured in the blaze but the incident has prompted firefighters to issue an important reminder.

A spokesperson explained: “Dust in extractor fans can build up and become fire hazards.

“We encourage all home owners to check and clean extractor fans on a regular basis to make sure they are in working order.”