A couple who were childhood sweethearts in Rugby are celebrating their golden wedding on Saturday.
Barry and Susan Thornicroft married at St Mark’s Church in Bilton.
The ceremony was attended by many members of the Old Laurentian Rugby Football Club, Barry being the captain of the club in the 1962/63 season. Barry was born and bred in Rugby, his parents running the newsagent and general stores, at the top of Naseby Road on Southfields Estate for many years.
Susan was born in Weymouth before moving to Rugby in 1948 where her father was the manager of The Co-operative Insurance office in Regent Street. The couple both attended the local grammar schools, Lawrence Sheriff and Rugby High School, where they met at a school dance in November 1957.
In the early years of their marriage they lived in Lytham Road, Barry working at the AEI and Susan a reception teacher at Dunchurch.
They moved to Bristol in 1967 with their young sons, David And Nick, where Barry worked on the Concorde project.
They have lived in the Cotswold village of Amberley for the last 40 years where a party was held at their home.
The couple are pictured above (left) on their wedding day and (right) more recently.