John’s ordeal at hands of masked burglars at home

editorial image

A MAN has spoken of how he was bustled out of a shower, threatened with a knife and tied up by a hooded gang who then ransacked his home.

John Dicey, the owner of Truckbusters off Newbold Road, was attacked by four men while he was having an evening shower in what police have described as aggravated burglary. The 53-year-old, of Leamington Road, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, ended up having to escape a locked bedroom with his hands still bound and with no clothes on as he tried to flag down a car on the main road outside his house. He did not suffer any injuries as a result of the ordeal.

Mr Dicey said: “I’d just got back from work in the evening and was in the shower when I heard loud banging coming from down stairs, which got louder and louder.

“I poked my head out of the shower to see what was going on and as I did so I saw four masked men running down the corridor towards me. They grabbed me and there was a bit of a scuffle and they got a knife out, put it to my throat and started demanding money. They then tied me up and left me on the floor while they raided my home.

“I managed to break free of the cables they tied me with but they threatened me again, tied me up once more and locked me in a bedroom while they finished ransacking my home. They took everything they could carry and left.”

He added: “It didn’t take me long to get out of the bedroom and when I did I ran downstairs and into the road – about seven cars nearly ran me over but eventually one stopped and called the police for me. I can’t remember clearly what my emotions were at the time – I wasn’t particularly shocked or frightened, I just took it in my stride and dealt with it as it happened, really.”

Police investigating the incident have said the assailants are described as white males, all dressed in dark clothing, including hoodies with the hoods up and were wearing white disposable gloves. They were all wearing coverings to hide their faces. One of the males is described as being over six feet tall.

Andrew Lea, the detective constable who has been investigating the burglary, said: “This was a frightening attack which took place within the man’s home and we need to trace the people who did this.

“There would have been a disturbance when they smashed the door which may have attracted the attention of people in the street, we would also like to hear from anyone who saw anyone waiting around in the street prior to the burglary taking place.”