Ladies gathered for a special afternoon tea to celebrate 75 years of Clifton Women’s Institute.
It took place at Treacles Kitchen in Sheep Street, Rugby, who opened especially for members of the group.
On May 15, 1941, a formation meeting was held in the Townsend Memorial Hall in Clifton to vote on whether or not a Women’s Institute be established in the village.
The resolution was carried unanimously.
At the election meeting on May 29, there were 25 enrolments and nominations for a committee were given.
The president Mrs Mulliner and vice president Mrs Jennings were elected together with a committee of ten ladies.
Rules and regulations were agreed on, one being “that members be admitted at 14 years as ‘associate members’ paying one shilling subscription and having no vote, and that young women should be admitted to full membership at the age of 16.”
Some 75 years later, on Sunday May 15, 2016, members of the current WI met together for a celebratory afternoon tea.
It was a gathering of ladies of all ages who enjoyed homemade sandwiches, scones and cakes while chatting, laughing and looking over many items from collections of memorabilia from the past decades of their WI.
A special anniversary cake was cut by one of the group’s longest serving members Anne Sutton.