Major fire at Lutterworth Golf Club
The huge fire can be seen for many miles
There is a major fire at Lutterworth Golf Club this evening (Saturday May 1).
We have received many reports about the blaze and the club has just confirmed it on social media.
The club said the course and club will be closed until further notice.
The huge fire can be seen for many miles.
We will give more information when we can.
The photo attached to this article was taken by Jack Millen.
Click here to see aerial video footage and photos of the heartbreaking damage.
UPDATE FROM THIS MORNING (SUNDAY)
Luckily no one was hurt as the clubhouse was empty when the blaze broke out at the 117-year-old club.
The massive fire started at about 10.15pm last night.
Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service were flooded with 999 calls from shocked local people raising the alarm as flames leapt hundreds of feet into the dark night sky over Lutterworth.
Fire appliances from Lutterworth, Kibworth, Rugby, Leicester’s Southern station, Western, Hinckley, Wigston, Birstall and Loughborough dashed to the scene.
Six pumps, a water carrier and a specialist aerial ladder platform were all drafted in to help crews tackle the conflagration.
“On arrival the Incident Commander confirmed the building involved in the fire was well alight.
“Further fire engines and aerial ladder requested to assist fire-fighting,” said the fire service today.
A single-storey building, measuring 60 metres by 20 metres, was at the heart of the blaze.
It’s thought to be the club’s clubhouse, founded in 1904.
Firefighters deployed two main water jets, water from the aerial ladder platform and two hose reels to battle the fire.
Small Propane gas cylinders were involved but are not believed to have exploded.
Police also went to the fire last night.
“Gas and Electricity boards attended to isolate utilities,” said the fire service.
A senior fire investigator backed up by police officers was launching an immediate investigation into the blaze today.
And two fire crews were still at the scene damping down the smouldering building after the extensive all-night 999 operation.
The huge incident is also thought to have forced police to close a stretch of the Rugby Road in Lutterworth late last night.
The section between Gibbit Lane/A426 and the A4303 was sealed off.
The road was reopened at 5.40am today.
Lutterworth Golf Club has said that the fire has forced them to close for the foreseeable future.
Describing the well-loved club, the golf club’s Facebook page says: “Founded in 1904, Lutterworth golf course is a tree-lined, parkland course set in rolling countryside astride the River Swift.
“Suitable for all levels of golfer, it has been widely praised for the quality of the course and the challenge it provides.”
A spokesperson for Leicestershire Police said: "Police were called at 10.05pm yesterday (Saturday) to a report of a fire in Lutterworth.
"Officers and Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Services attended the premises on Rugby Road.
"A cordon was put in place along with road closures on Rugby Road, Swinford Road, Sharwell Lane and Gibbet Lane to allow emergency services to deal with the incident – closures were lifted earlier this morning.
"No one was injured in the incident.
"Enquiries are continuing to determine the exact cause of the fire."